The coasts of the UK and Ireland are beautiful and wild – and there to be explored. Coastal walking is a very safe activity most of the time, but slips and falls from walking and running are the biggest cause of death on our coastlines. So, before your next visit, check out our safety tips.
How to stay safe
- Be wary of all edges around the sea and waterside. Slips and falls happen in all locations; it is not just high cliff edges that are a risk.
- Always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Take care when walking in dark and slippery conditions.
- Always take a means of calling for help.
- Always check the weather and tides. Getting cut off by the tide is a common cause of lifeboat launches. Look here for further info.